You wont believe it until you see it. The juice from just one chickpea can makes 2 full trays of beautiful meringue. Whipping the juice takes about 15 minutes in an automatic mixer before they form soft peaks that look and taste exactly like egg whites. I mean look at this!!! (I think i could have mixed it a little more for firmer peaks).
So the juice from the chickpea is called Aquafaba which loosely translates to bean liquid. I warn you up front making these meringues takes 2 hours in the oven unattended. Which can be great a winter’s night to warm the room.
- Liquid from one 15-ounce (400g) can of chickpeas (about ¾ cup)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- (Optional) A little salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips (Optional but recommended)
Pre-heat oven to 250 fahrenheit (120 celsius)
- Pour the chickpea liquid into an electric mixed with a whisking attachment. Mix on medium for about 15 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually mix in the sugar, the vanilla and lastly the chocolate chips (Also add the salt of your using it)
- Line one or more likely two large baking trays with parchment paper and using a spoon scoop heaps of the mixture onto the baking trays and simply bake for 90 minutes.
- MAKE SURE you do not open the oven door during this time or they will sink.
These can be stored for about 3-5 days in an airtight container.